June 23, 2008

Summer Treats

Its that time of the year again. My favorite time of year, summer. It takes me back to my childhood of going to the pool, playing softball, wandering in the woods with my brother and the best part Fourth of July. Every year my parents hosted a huge party at the house. My mom always made tons of food as well as adult beverages that from time to time I would sneak. (I think she knew though) Always delicious and simple. I thought I would share her classic with you as well as an upgrade. You may want to keep The Classic out of the kids hands. It can be potent.Lime Slush (The Classic)
1 can Limeade (It helps if it is thawed, but not necessary)
1 can Lime Vodka
Ice
Sprite or 7-Up
Fill blender 1/2 full with ice. Pour in Limeade and Vodka and blend until smooth. Place 3-4 spoon fulls in a glass, top off with Sprite or 7-Up. Store in an airtight container in freezer. Keeps for weeks. You can modify how much slush you want, each person has their preference.


Strawberry Margarita Sorbet (The Upgrade)
1/3 C. Tequila
1/4 C. Triple Sec
1 C. Sugar
2 C. Water
32 oz. Frozen Strawberries

Put water and sugar into a pot and bring to a boil stirring until sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool. (Can be done a day ahead, which I recommend)

Thaw Strawberries in microwave, puree juice and all in blender until smooth.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place in a 9x13 pan and place in the freezer. Stir every 45 minutes until frozen. (I use a whisk, make sure to get the sides.) Store in an airtight container in the freezer. Keeps for weeks.

The picture is actually of a red raspberry margarita sorbet.  You can use other fruits if you have a personal favorite, give it a try and see if it works. This batch was made back in March and it is still good today.  I think I might have some tonight for dessert. YUM!

18 comments:

  1. DELIGHTFUL! This sounds incredible. Thanks SITStah for a great summer refresher idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds YUMMY! We're having company this weekend, and this sounds promising :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in for the upgraded one...sounds so very refreshing! I just love margaritas and magaritas for dessert??? Well, that's just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those both look WONDERFUL!! I so need to try both. I bet parties at your house are a blast! How could they not be with drinks like those flowing?! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great. I could really use one now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I'll take one of each right now, not feeling well...they may be just what the Dr. ordered.
    My mouth is watering

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooohhh...I'm copying these down. I need to try something other than my typical glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look yummy. My girlfriend uses LimeAid for a quick margarita. I will have to check it out sometime. Congrats on being featured!!!!! It's fun isn't it?!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for visiting today! I have had some fun looking through your sites!

    Those recipes are great summer treats. Come back and visit from time to time. I am making my famous Cinnamon Apple Sangria this weekend, and will post the recipe on Saturday (once I dig it out).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these are totally being printed out RIGHT NOW and put to use this weekend. I'll have to drive 30 miles to get the liquor (oh, country life!), but hey...it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How tasty! Congrats on your Saucy day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy SITS Day! Isn't it fun!! I love your drink recipes. They sound wonderful to try by our pool that's finally done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on being the featured SITS chef :-)

    These look really good !! First time I've heard about a can of lime vodka though. What brand is it, so I can try and track it down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you are looking for the lime vodka, Smirnoff makes a great version. Just pour in your limeade, fill can with vodka, pour over limeade, mix and freeze. If you want a less limey version, regular vodka can be used too.

    Thanks for all the visits. Let me know how you liked them. :()

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those sounds yummy.. anything Strawberry though catches my eye I love Strawberry Daquiri's. This will get saved on http://mommacookscooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your input would be greatly appreciated!!!