February 25, 2013

Dealing with death

I had hoped that I would never have to discuss death with my students, but some things are outside of my control.

A seventh grade student passed away yesterday after a short battle with leukemia. I knew this was coming with her recent health updates, but I never imagined that I would be the one to have to tell my students.

I am overly emotional myself, so breaking the news was more than I have ever been prepared to do.

I was amazed at how well my students handled it. One had some great questions about cancer and different 'cures' for it.

I did the best I could with the information I had, but I feel I did an injustice to her memory.

She was a student I never had in class. I know very little about her. But, I am inspired by the stories about her I hear from her peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input would be greatly appreciated!!!